Are long skirts still in style 2020?
Maxi skirts always were a favorite detail of clothes of elegant ladies. They did not go out of fashion in past seasons. And here we are, long skirts are in fashion in 2020. Grand couturiers have already presented the new products of this year’s season, and even made forecasts for 2020-2021: a new influx of popularity is expected.
In the new collections you can see the trends of past years – pleated, wrapped skirts and others. At the same time, new trends in long skirts appeared: eclecticism (mixing styles), asymmetry, bright prints, details of décor – frills and flounces. The combinations with the top have slightly changed – they may be unexpected, but original and harmonious.
Fashionable long skirts 2020: popular models
Which long skirts are in fashion in 2020? Let’s try to gain insight into different styles.
Of the many varieties of long skirts, several main silhouettes can be distinguished:
- pencil skirt
Flared skirt. This model includes a circular skirt – a full skirt with many tucks, on a belt or an elastic band, and a «semi-circle skirt» – a model similar to the previous one, but less wide.
Long flared skirts are very suitable for summer ensembles. Made of light, flowing fabrics – silk, chiffon or organza, they create the impression of lightness and grace.
A striking detail of an evening dress can be a long flared skirt made of heavier materials – satin, thick silk, velvet, and brocade. In this case, it is necessary to find a balance of proportions, since these fabrics can visually add volume.
A-shaped skirts. It’s a fitted flared model that emphasizes the waist, visually balances the proportions of shoulders and hips. Due to the wide variety of such models, the best option can be selected for any figure. The a-shaped skirt is in the list of top 10 skirts that hide the stomach.
- Wrapped skirts – a skirt with a vertical or diagonal wrap will make the figure more slender.
- Pleated skirt – this decorative element can be very different and will help to form the desired stylish look, from romantic outfit to business. This style also includes the pleated dress, which is loved by many women. It’s still popular this year.
- Denim skirts – a-shaped skirts of denim have entered the trends from past seasons. It can be a strict A-silhouette or a two-three-layer model, often such skirts are sewn with a strap and buttons.
Flippy skirt. Popular, elegant and sophisticated style, very effective in maxi length. In the 2019-2020 season, designers offer feminine models with pleats, belts, pockets, and decorative elements.
Trumpet skirts. This model combines the severity of a straight skirt and a flared bottom. In long «trumpet» skirts, the silhouette is created due to a wide flounce, panels or bias cut. «Year» is retro and classic, it has been especially in demand during the past seasons, it combines solemnity and romance.
Straight skirts and «pencils». These models are suitable for women who are not afraid to emphasize their hips. It’s important that the pencil skirt is suitable for both plus-sized and slender women. A tight-fitting, narrow skirt is usually made of knitwear, either with a slit or a wrap, so as not to hamper the movements.
Nowadays, a pencil skirt can be worn even with sneakers, not just with high-heeled shoes.
New models of skirts – trends of 2020
The designers really got fancy while creating fashionable skirts of 2020. You can see all the modern models on our website. And now it’s time to examine in detail the new trends in long skirts.
Asymmetric and split-level. Asymmetric skirt will give originality and uniqueness.
A maxi skirt, in which cut elements differ in length, may be a detail of an office suit, but most of all it is appropriate for a festive occasion.
A model with a shortened front part looks especially impressive when the hem at the back falls to the floor in the form of a train.
Multilayered and multi-tiered. Such skirts are a real catch for the summer. Made from fine natural fabrics, they are feminine, romantic and great for hot days.
In cold weather, multi-tiered skirts made of light denim or soft woolen cloth will be helpful.
Transparent. Long skirts made of transparent fabrics – tulle, mesh, as well as lace – are presented in fashion collections regardless of the time of year. This tell-all transparency is masked in various ways – petticoats, shorts, decorative elements in the form of stones, pailettes, embroidery. Of course, this is not an everyday outfit, still it’s elegant and impressive.
Choice according to the season
Perhaps the fashion for long skirts does not fade away, because they can both warm you and give coolness. It depends on the fabric from which they are made.
In the cold season, warm trousers or jeans can be successfully replaced by a long skirt. Maxi skirts from wool, tweed, drape, cashmere retain heat well, while your outfit remains feminine and stylish.
Look at the best fashionable trousers 2020 on our website.
After a long winter, you may want to quickly hide warm things, but spring is changeable and in our climate is not always sunny and warm. In this transition period, maxi skirts from less dense fabrics are worn – knitwear, denim, leather. The color scheme is more appropriate for spring, it’s diverse and bright.
A full skirt is one of the main trends in the summer seasons of recent years; it does not concede its position in 2020 either. This is a riot of colors and a variety of styles. Keeping the main romantic orientation, long summer skirts can represent boho, and ethnic style, and even sports.
Experts advise sewing summer maxi skirts from natural fabrics – linen, cotton, chiffon. Such material is water absorbing and cools the body in the summer heat.
With the beginning of autumn, you can prolong the feeling of summer with the help of bright colors, saturated shades. For autumn maxi skirts, fabrics with a pattern are also recommended – ornaments, large check. For these models, not too dense materials are used – wool, denim, knitwear.
Décor and trimmings of fashionable skirts 2020
Various trimming of long skirts is also present at fashion shows.
– Lacing looks quite modern and stylish.
– Inserts of lacework or chiffon can be seen on romantic models.
– Boho skirts are often decorated with fringe.
– Ruffles and flounces will add some volume if your figure needs it.
– Folds of different widths and a neat pleat will make the image more feminine.
The choice of color depends on fashion trends and the purpose of the outfit. Sole colored maxi skirts of neutral tones carry a certain severity, bright – festivity, pastel – lightness and romanticism. However, many women of fashion prefer long skirts with a variety of prints that make the look complete.
- Floral motifs are always fashionable, and the new season is no exception. Floral maxi skirts with grass, branches and leaves are the main theme of summer fashionable dresses.
- Animal prints stubbornly remain the hottest new trend. Changeless leopard and tiger coloring, zebra stripes, tortoise pattern, imitation of crocodile and snake skin, and even fish scales remain in demand in the models of long skirts of 2020.
- Abstract and geometric patterns with clear lines are also in trend.
- Favorite check – classic retro-style and the latest fashion craze – it still has pride of place in the arsenal of maxi skirts.
Fashionable maxi skirts: colors and shades
Color is a very important tool for the correct perception of the outfit. In the fashion collections of this season, stylists determined their preferences for colors and shades:
– classic: black and white;
– pastel: creamy, coffee with milk, delicate terracotta, beige, gray. For the summer, orange, pink, muted green, as well as wine shades, are relevant.
– bright: all shades of blue, soft and bright tones of red, slightly muffled green.
How to combine these fashionable shades in 2020? This information no longer fits in the format of the article. Read more about the fashionable colors of skirts and how to combine them with the top in the next article.
Subscribe to news not to miss the most interesting information!
In the fashion catalogs of the new season a wide selection of long skirts in a variety of styles is presented, so choosing a suitable style for any figure is not difficult.