In the fashion trend of 2020, along with traditional evening maxi dresses, there’re long casual dresses – for any season, with and without sleeves, made of different textures, in a wide color range. There’s also a remarkable variety of styles – from classic and vintage to daring and unusual, such as boho.
Maxi dresses 2020: what to choose?
What dress to choose in 2020? First of all, you need to consider the peculiarities of your figure. Thanks to the large selection of styles offered, it’s easy to choose a model according to your figure, depending on its features. The rules specified by stylists are unchanged:
- tall girls with slim, delicate figure can choose any model, texture and color;
- short girls need to emphasize the waist; the vertical lines and V-neck will stretch the silhouette, you’d better choose muted colors;
- in the opposite case – wide shoulders and narrow hips – you’d better choose regular fit; a nuance – a minimum of details in the neckline;
- women with curvy forms are recommended to choose fitted models, and a darker color will hide extra volume;
- if you have narrow shoulders and wide hips, you will look good in flared plain bottom, the top is recommended to be bright.
Trendy maxi dresses of 2020: top 10 fashionable styles
The straight cut of a long dress can create a moderate, stylish and business look, incredible summer outfits, and cozy variants from warm fabrics. As for solemn moments, such a style is often chosen for graduation and wedding dresses, as it emphasizes the beauty and elegance of the girl, her tenderness and elegance. This laconic basic style has sustained its popularity for many years in a row.
Here are the most popular styles of dresses of direct silhouette:
- Wrap dress. Trench dress. A dress with special features of a trench coat will become a hit of the spring-summer season. It looks great on any figure and is ideal for office outfits.
- Loose dress
The idea of loose dresses hasn’t gone out of fashion for many seasons. We already wrote about all the features of the oversized dresses and the variety of styles on the site. Women adore this style because it hides the minor flaws of the figure, while at the same time making the silhouette feminine.
The main feature of this silhouette is a smooth hip line, one of the intriguing elements of women’s clothing. Women with thin waist and beautiful hips can choose from several varieties of this style – a straight tight-fitting maxi dress, trumpet dress, mermaid dress, sheath dress.
Designers include to this category styles with flared bottom either from the waist, or from the shoulders or chest. A narrowed cut in the shoulders and flared lower part of the A-shaped dress are an ideal discovery for those who want to hide tummy and other flaws of the figure. In the trend of 2020, and even 2021:
- classic a-shaped dress from dense fabric with extension from the bodice;
- voluminous oversized dresses with flounces, ruffles, and multiple layers;
- A-shaped dresses with an asymmetrical hem and large flounces on the hem;
- slightly flared elegant dresses.
This silhouette includes dresses with pleated skirts and plaits.
Dresses with a full skirt
A full skirt can be made with the use of tucks on the waist or a special cut. An unusual option is a “tutu dress” – a dress resembling a ballerina’s outfit.
This is one of the most favorite styles, very comfortable, practical, and at the same time elegant. There are a lot of such dresses in fashion shows of the new season, and the cut is very intricate and original. The wrap is fixed by a belt or buttons, there are even artificial wraps.
Fashionable long slip dresses will be decorated with lace, small ruffles, combinations of “linen” textures, small tucks. Unlike previous years, in 2020, multilayer looks, as well as combinations with trousers and rough sports shoes, will be in fashion.
Long layered dresses can have different variants:
- layers can be of the same length, which creates fullness and volume;
- layers located one above the other can be even or asymmetric;
- the fabric is usually light, airy but it can be denser, for example, satin.
Over the past seasons, the style with an asymmetrical hem has become familiar. In 2020, fashion both for the asymmetric bottom and the shoulder line – only part of it or the arm is completely naked, will be prominent. The trend of the season is one shoulder-strap or tie, which is important for women with broad shoulders – the top will look narrower. By the way, asymmetry will make you look younger.
In the beginning of the 20th century, Coco Chanel presented women with shirtdresses. They were very popular in the 60s. Today, not only models with “male” collar are in trend but also loose dresses with large neckline.
This comfortable model came from the Japanese national costume. The kimono dress has a T-shaped silhouette and loose sleeves. Thanks to the free cut, it’s suitable for different types of figure.
Almost any of these fashionable models can be complemented with various decorative details, a cut, interesting sleeves. The novelty of the season is a long dress combined with trousers.